Pages

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Homemade Brown Sugar

While making the gingerbread house on the weekend I ran out of two things - brown sugar and molasses.

For the brown sugar I used the simple technic of adding molasses to white sugar and rubbing it in until it's completely blended.

You go from this ...


to this ...


For the molasses I used my book "The Food Substitutions Bible" by David Joachim.  This is a great resource to have on hand.  It's basically an A to Z listing of most food items that you use in your kitchen and possible substitutions.  I had almost enough molasses (remember I doubled my recipe so I needed 2 cups of molasses - I was 1/4 cup short).  By using this book I found out I could use honey - which we had plenty of - to top off my 2 cups.  Phew - disaster averted.

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I live so far away from the store and this will come in handy!

    Have a wonderfully blessed New Year!

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to know. I love to bake and have often thought there MUST be a substitute for that.
    I should get the book you mentioned.
    Good luck with your move.
    Nancy
    Powellbrowerhome.com

    ReplyDelete