Pages

Monday, July 08, 2013

Chairs Apart

I can't take them anymore.  Have a look.


No, look closer.


Not only is the colouring not my style, but the fabric is old and dirty.  Since we don't generally eat in the dining room I haven't really bothered with these chairs (eight chairs - six armless, two with arms).  I have known that at some point we would re-cover them ... probably when we found the right fabric.  But this past week, a week in which I had taken some time off and was with them every day ... I just couldn't take it anymore.  I had to see what I could do about them.  I started by taking the seat off one chair.


And then I started to pry those old, deeply imbedded staples.  Ugh.  It's hard work.  I'm using a small knife, chisel and pliers (from Manuel), and lots of concentration.


See this label?


Ah - that red and gold fabric isn't even the original stuff.

I'm still debating fabrics, and might try a few before getting it right.  I'll let you know as things progress ... slowly I'm sure as those staples are brutal.

No comments:

Post a Comment